Request a review

You can request a review if you:

  • believe there is an error
  • wish to seek leniency because there were special circumstances that contributed to the offence.

We cannot conduct a review if we also receive a request to have the matter decided in court.

To request a review via myPenalty, you will need:

  • the penalty notice number,
  • the date of the offence, and
  • any supporting evidence.

When do I need to submit my request?

We must receive your request by the due date on the penalty reminder notice. If you have paid the fine before receiving a reminder notice, the deadline is 60 days from the issue date of the penalty notice. If you are unsure of the exact deadline, contact us.

Are there other options to request a review?

You can contact us by phone if you believe the fine was issued to the wrong registration number or you are seeking consideration of a 10 year clear driving record for a traffic offence. We cannot consider a clear driving record for parking, non-demerit or serious traffic offences, such as a school zone offence, speeding more than 20 km/h over the limit or driving while using a mobile phone.

What evidence do I need to support my request?

For more information about the documentary evidence needed to support your request and reasons we consider, read the Revenue NSW review guidelines.

What are the possible outcomes of the review?

When the review is completed you will receive written advice on the outcome, including one of the following decisions:

  • Penalty to stand: the offence was proven and the circumstances or issues raised did not warrant granting a caution. You must pay the fine or request to have the matter decided in court.

  • Caution: the penalty notice was issued correctly and the offence occurred but due to the circumstances and evidence provided you have now been issued a caution. Payment is not required and demerit points do not apply. However, for demerit point offences the caution will be recorded on your driving history.

  • Cancellation: the penalty notice:

    • does not sufficiently disclose the offence
    • has an exemption applied
    • has been issued in error.

    You do not have to pay the fine and demerit points (if applicable) will not be recorded.

I have changed my address, how do I update my details?

NSW law requires you to notify Roads & Maritime Services (RMS) of a change of address within 14 days. If you do not update your address with RMS, you are unlikely to receive important notices from us that may result in additional costs or debt recovery action. You can change your address with RMS/Service NSW by phone at 132 213, online or on the ServiceNSW mobile app.

How can I track the progress of my request?

You can login to myPenalty to check the status of your application. The summary page which will indicate whether we have received your request, and if your application has been reviewed, it will indicate whether a caution or cancellation applies. We will also write to explain our decision and answer your questions.

Last updated: 20 March 2018