Frequent questions

Unclaimed money

I have received a letter from a money finding agency, do I have to apply through them to claim my unclaimed money?

The choice is yours. You may proceed with the agency or alternatively if you have not signed an agreement with the agency you may like to lodge your own claim with us. Please note that we charge no fees to process your claim.

Do I need to provide certified copies of supporting documents?

No, certified copies are not required unless the Chief Commissioner has specifically requested a certified copy.

What does certified copy mean?

A true copy of an original document that has been sighted by an acceptable person and noted as follows: ' I certify that I have sighted the original document and this is a true copy of it.' This certification must have the certifier's name, title, registration number (where applicable), and must be signed and dated.

Who is an acceptable person?

An acceptable person is:

  • a legal practitioner
  • Justice of the Peace (JP)
  • one of our officers
  • Magistrate
  • police officer
  • dentist
  • pharmacist
  • certified practising accountant
  • Commissioner for Declarations
  • Member of Parliament
  • medical practitioner.

If an enterprise operates in several states, where do they lodge the unclaimed money?

Enterprises carrying on a business in New South Wales (NSW) who keep the record of the account for that money in NSW are required to lodge the unclaimed money with us.

Last updated: 14 June 2016