Unclaimed Money Information for Claimants

What is unclaimed money?

Unclaimed money is:

  • money greater than $100 held in an account that has been inactive for at least 6 years
  • trust money under the Property Stock and Business Agents Act 2002 that has been held for more than 2 years irrespective of the amount.

The debiting of a fee, tax, duty or charge, or the crediting of interest or a dividend into the inactive account does not make that account an active account.

Unclaimed money applies only to accounts held in NSW. That is, a record of the money, whether paper or electronic, is kept or maintained in NSW.

Searching for money

To perform a search for all money available for claim:

  • go to the unclaimed money search page
  • type in the search name and follow the instructions.


We hold unclaimed superannuation funds that were lodged from 1 July 1997 to 30 June 2007. These benefits were lodged where the member was deceased or had reached the eligibility age (65 for women and men) and no contributions had been made to the fund for 2 years.

From 1 July 2007, we only receive unclaimed superannuation benefits from NSW Public Sector Superannuation Funds. All other superannuation benefits are lodged with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

What is unclaimed superannuation?

Unclaimed superannuation is a superannuation benefit, which has become unclaimed since 1 July 2007 and the following applies.

Where the member:

  • has reached the eligibility age of 65 years
  • no contributions have been received or defined benefit accrued for 2 years
  • no contact has been made with the member for 5 years, despite reasonable efforts by the provider.

Or, in the case of a non-member spouse:

  • in cases of a payment split as a result of a determination under the Family Law Act 1975
  • the non-member spouse (or their legal representative, if they are deceased) is entitled to be paid an amount
  • the superannuation provider, after reasonable efforts and time, is unable to ensure the benefit is received by the non-member or any other person entitled to receive it.

Or, in the case of a deceased member:

  • the superannuation provider determines that an immediate benefit (other than a pension or annuity) is required to be paid
  • no contributions have been received or defined benefits accrued for 2 years
  • the superannuation provider, after reasonable efforts and time, is unable to ensure the benefit is received by the person entitled to receive it.

Information about unclaimed superannuation benefits and lost member benefits is available from the ATO.

Bank savings not included

The Australian Securities & Investments Commission is responsible for unclaimed money held by banks, building societies, credit unions and friendly societies.

In past years, we were responsible for receiving unclaimed money from savings accounts last used during the following years:

  • all banks (1976–1982)
  • State Bank of NSW (1976–1986)
  • all credit unions, building and friendly societies (1976–1991)
  • St George Building Society (1976–1985).

How to make a claim

Claims can be made online. Alternatively, claims can be posted to us.

When making a claim, the following information is required:

  1. Proof of identity – 1 document for each owner and claimant is required (3 documents in total for each person. A document cannot cover more than 1 category).
    Category 1 – Identity and date of birth*
    • an Australian Birth Certificate issued by Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
    • current Passport
    • current Australian Driver Licence.
    Category 2 – Operating in the community*
    • Medicare card
    • Motor vehicle registration
    • Centrelink Card
    • Department of Veterans Affairs Card
    • Health Care Card.
    Category 3 – Current residential address*
    • current utility documents (e.g. electricity, phone or gas bills)
    • current bank statements
    • current rate notice
    • current residential lease agreement.

*Evidence of change of name is required if the name on any of the documents presented is different to the name of the claimant (e.g. Marriage Certificate, Change of Name Certificate or deed poll).

  1. Proof of connection to the last known address held by us – for example, a council rate notice, electricity or gas bill or letters from the enterprise that forwarded the unclaimed money to us.
  2. Proof of a relationship between you and the enterprise that sent the unclaimed money to us – for example, letters from the enterprise to you, statements, share or premium certificates. You may need to contact the enterprise that forwarded the unclaimed money to us and ask them to provide this documentation.

Penalties for false claims and providing misleading information

Penalties of up to $11,000 exist for making false or misleading statements for unclaimed money.

We regularly conduct compliance checks and investigations to make sure those making unclaimed money applications are the rightful owners of the funds.

For more information about unclaimed money, contact us.

Calling from a mobile? Call 02 9685 2142
Or phone 1300 366 016*
8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday
Revenue NSW
GPO Box 4042
Sydney NSW 2001

Last updated: 13 March 2018