Duty Relief for Damaged Vehicles in Declared Natural Disaster Areas

Stamp Duty relief will be provided on the replacement of motor vehicles written off due to declared natural disasters.

What relief is available?

The relief provided will be by way of a refund.

In what circumstances will a refund be given?

Refunds will apply when the written off vehicle was comprehensively insured and the insurance does not cover the duty payable on a replacement vehicle.

The amount of duty refunded will be the duty payable on the lower of:

  • the cost of the replacement vehicle
  • the value of the insurance payout for the vehicle written off.

How do I apply for a refund?

Complete a Request for Refund of Duty on Registration of Replacement Motor Vehicle form.

The completed application form together with the 3 forms of evidence should be posted to:

Office of State Revenue
GPO Box 4042
Sydney NSW 2001

You can also deliver in person to the Lang Centre, 132 Marsden Street, Parramatta.

What evidence/documents do I need to provide?

  • A letter from the insurance company confirming the vehicle was written off as a result of the declared natural disaster and the amount paid to the owner.

  • Evidence of purchase of a replacement vehicle with the purchase price clearly shown.

  • A copy of the registration certificate showing duty paid in NSW.

  • A Request for Refund of Duty on Registration of Replacement Motor Vehicle form.

Note: we require all the above evidence/documents to be provided to enable the refund application to be processed.

What happens next?

We will process your application as quickly as possible provided you included all the required evidence/documentation.

We will contact you directly if there are any issues with your refund application. Please ensure you include a contact telephone number on the form.

For more information about duty relief, contact us.

1300 139 814*
8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday

Last updated: 17 February 2016