Reconciling your 2018 payroll tax: Non-grouped companies


Getting ready to do your Payroll tax annual reconciliation.

If you pay wages that exceed the NSW payroll tax threshold…

…you are required to lodge an annual reconciliation by 21 July each financial year.

Before you begin, you will need certain information, including:

  • Client ID and Correspondence ID
  • NSW wages
  • Interstate wages
  • Apprentices and new entrant trainees
  • ‘Tax paid’ records, if you have made monthly payments.

To log in, use your client ID and correspondence ID from your most recent payroll tax letter or booklet.

You will also be asked to enter ‘challenge text’ to proceed.

If you cannot read the challenge text, choose a new one by selecting ‘Click to get a new challenge.’

All mandatory questions are marked with an asterix.

Enter your details in the relevant field.

When you have completed the questions…

…selecting ‘Save’ is the only way to save any data you have entered.

If you’re not a part of a group, select ‘No.’

If you have not used the monthly calculator…

…you will need to fill in the wage details for the employing period.

You will also need to include an estimate of the monthly wages…

…for the following financial year.

To proceed, select ‘Next.’

Any payments you have made throughout the year will be displayed against each return period.

A summary of the calculations is available to confirm you have entered the correct details.

If your tax payable is more than the payments received, it will show you the amount outstanding.

If your tax payable is less than the payments received, it will show you the refund amount.

For a more detailed summary, select ‘Show tax calculation details.’

If you are due a refund, you will need to give an explanation why you are requesting a refund in the ‘Provide a detailed explanation’ box…

…and you will need to enter your bank account details.

Once you have entered your refund details, select ‘Lodge’ to lodge your return.

If you need to make a payment to finalise your Annual Reconciliation…

…you need to select ‘Lodge’ to receive your payment options.

Choose ‘Register’ to pay via direct debit or choose ‘Other payment options’ to use EFT, BPAY, credit card, or to pay at Australia Post.

Once you have lodged, you will receive a confirmation by email.

You can select ‘Print a confirmation of lodgement,’ or ‘Generate PDF of reconciliation’ to save an electronic copy.

You can also choose ‘Cancellation of registration’ if you are no longer liable for payroll tax.

For more information about payroll tax and the Annual Reconciliation, go to the Revenue NSW website at

Last updated: 14 June 2018