If your motor vehicle was written off in a declared natural disaster the NSW government may be able to refund any motor vehicle duty you pay on a replacement vehicle.
We may also be able to:
- give you more time to lodge any documents or returns
- defer enforcing any fines against you
- extend your payment deadlines
- agree not to charge you interest
- arrange for you to pay any debts to us in instalments.
Are you eligible?
You may be eligible for a motor vehicle duty refund if:
- you had comprehensive insurance for your written off vehicle
- your insurance does not cover the duty for a replacement vehicle
- you paid the duty on your replacement vehicle in NSW.
The amount you’ll receive will be the duty payable on the lower of:
- the cost of the replacement vehicle or
- the value of the insurance payout for your written off vehicle.
How to apply for a refund
To apply for a refund, download and complete the Request for refund of duty on registration of replacement motor vehicle (PDF, 224.6 KB).
You must include the following documents with your form when you apply.
- A letter from the insurance company that confirms your vehicle was written off due to the natural disaster and showing how much money it paid to you.
- Proof that you have purchased a replacement vehicle, with the price clearly shown.
- A copy of the registration certificate showing duty you paid duty on the replacement vehicle in NSW.
Send the completed form and any documents to Revenue NSW.
What happens next
We process all applications as quickly as we can.
Include your phone number on the form so we can contact you if:
- there are any issues with your refund application or
- we need more information from you.