Go to court

Do not request to go to court if you want us to review your penalty notice. We must stop a review once we receive a court election.

To have your penalty decided in court, you will need:

  • the penalty notice number,
  • the date of the offence, and
  • a residential address for us to send the Court Attendance Notice (CAN). Please note, we cannot send a CAN to a postal address.

Note: The court may apply additional costs when the matter is determined.

When do I need to submit my request?

We must receive your request by the due date on the penalty reminder notice. If you have paid the fine before receiving a reminder notice, the deadline is 90 days from the issue date of the penalty notice. If you are unsure of the exact deadline, contact us.

Note: if you have requested a review that was unsuccessful, you have 28 days to advise us that you wish to go to court.

Are there other options to request to go to court?

You can also choose to have a penalty decided in court by sending us a Request to have a penalty decided in court - Individuals or Request to have a penalty decided in court - Companies or written request.

How can I track the progress of my request?

You can log in to myPenalty to check. The status on the summary page will tell you whether we have received your request, and the court and date to attend, if it has been listed to court.

What happens after I submit my request?

We will send you a Court Attendance Notice (CAN) listing the court and date to attend. The matter is generally listed at the local court nearest to where the offence occurred. If you want to have it moved you must contact the court listed on the CAN.

What if I change my mind?

If you lodged a request to go to court but have changed your mind we can only accept your retraction if the Court Attendance Notice (CAN) has not yet replaced the penalty.

If you have received the CAN it is too late to ask us to withdraw the matter from court. You should contact the court listed on your notice to determine your options.

For more information on going to court, see Having your penalty notice decided in court.

I have changed my address, how do I update my details?

NSW law requires you to notify Roads & Maritime Services (RMS) of a change of address within 14 days. If you do not update your address with RMS, you are unlikely to receive important notices from us that may result in additional costs or debt recovery action. You can change your address with RMS by phone at 132 213, online, or on the ServiceNSW mobile app.

Last updated: 30 July 2017