How to apply to postpone an overdue fine

Revenue NSW can postpone the enforcement of your overdue fine if you are facing serious financial and medical or domestic problems. In certain circumstances, the fine may be written off.

When can I apply?

You can apply once you have received an overdue fine. You will need to show that you have constant problems with money, a serious problem with your health or home life. These problems must be so severe that you cannot pay your overdue fine either now or in the future.

You must send information that shows:

  • your current circumstances
  • you don’t have any possessions that could be sold to pay your overdue fine
  • you are not suitable to enter into a Work and Development Order
  • you can’t do community service work instead of paying your overdue fine.

How to apply

You need to write to Revenue NSW. Your letter must contain:

  • your full name, date of birth, address and licence number (if you have one)

  • your overdue fine number(s)

  • the grounds for your application. Is it financial, medical or domestic problems, or a combination of these

  • your current financial situation. You need to fill out the enclosed Statement of Financial Circumstances form, showing: your income, all the things you own and your current debts. You must supply copies of documents that demonstrate your financial circumstances (e.g. proof of income, bank statements, gas/electricity/phone bills) in support of your application. Your application cannot be assessed without these

  • your social security details if you are unemployed, or not working full time.

You must explain why you think your situation will not improve.

If you apply because of your domestic circumstances, you must describe your situation and the daily problems you face.

For example, you may be caring for someone and spending all your money to help them. If you can, provide a letter from a community welfare group to explain your problems, such as one from Mission Australia, The Salvation Army, The Smith Family or St. Vincent de Paul.

If you apply because of your medical circumstances, you must include a letter or report from a doctor, hospital or health care worker. Your application cannot be assessed without this.

The application process

After your application is assessed, you will be sent a letter explaining what has been decided.

If you do not include all the information listed above, Revenue NSW may refuse your application. You may be asked to send in additional evidence if you have forgotten to include it with your application.

What happens if my application is successful?

Revenue NSW will stop further enforcement action on your overdue fine for five years.

You must not receive any new overdue fines for five years. You will be contacted after this time and asked if your situation has improved or not. If it has not, the write off of your overdue fine will be considered.

Note: If you receive any new Revenue NSW overdue fines after your application has been approved Revenue NSW may reverse the decision and you will have to pay all your overdue fines as soon as possible.

What if my application is unsuccessful?

If the Revenue NSW does not approve the postponement of your overdue  fine, you can appeal by applying to the Fines Hardship Review Board. For more information contact us.

Can someone else apply on my behalf?

Yes. You can ask the following people to do it for you:

  • any member of your family
  • your solicitor or legal adviser
  • anyone from a community welfare group.
Last updated: 9 August 2017