Frequent questions

Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) restrictions

How can I get my restrictions lifted?

Once we receive payment for all outstanding overdue fines or a Work and Development Order is approved we will direct RMS to lift your restriction. Contact the RMS before driving to confirm your restriction has been lifted.

In very specific circumstances, we have the discretion to lift a restriction while fines are outstanding or being paid by instalments. Read Lifting NSW Roads and Maritime Services sanctions prior to unpaid fines being paid in full policy for details.

What types of restrictions can be applied?

An RMS restriction can include:

  • driver licence suspension - you can't drive any vehicle while your licence is suspended
  • vehicle registration cancellation - your vehicle can no longer be driven on the road
  • customer business restriction - you are unable to do business with RMS.

Civil sanctions

Property seizure order

This allows the sheriff to enter your home or workplace and seize goods belonging to you to auction to pay the outstanding overdue fine.

Garnishee order to your employer

This requires your employer to deduct money from your wages to pay the outstanding overdue fine.

For employers

An employer garnishee order is a legal document issued by Revenue NSW requiring employers to deduct money from an individual's wage/salary.

If you are an employer and have received a garnishee order from Revenue NSW, action it immediately. You can provide your response through the Employer Garnishee Order Self Service portal using the information received from the garnishee order.

Do not ignore the garnishee order. If you fail to comply with the order, you may be summoned to appear in court to explain why you should not be liable for the amount owed.

Note: providing false or misleading information to us may result in legal prosecution.

Garnishee order to your bank

This requires your bank to deduct money from your account to pay the outstanding overdue fine. Read the Garnishee order client information factsheet for more information.

Revenue NSW may approve a refund of part or all of the money taken from your bank account in some circumstances. Read the Policy relating to refunds for fines debt for more information.

Examination summons

We can issue you with a summons to attend court where one of our representatives will examine your financial circumstances to determine any future action for you to pay the outstanding fine.

Charge on land

The charge will prevent you from selling your property until you pay the outstanding overdue fine amount.

Last updated: 30 July 2017