How to lift driving restrictions

A Roads and Maritime restriction can include:

  • driver licence suspension – you cannot drive any vehicle while your licence is suspended
  • vehicle registration cancellation – your vehicle can no longer be driven on the road
  • customer business restriction – you are unable to do business with Roads and Maritime.

A $40 Roads and Maritime cost may be added to your overdue fine for each restriction.

Why do I have an Roads and Maritime restriction?

You failed to pay an outstanding overdue fine by the due date.

What will happen if I still don’t pay the overdue fine?

Further enforcement action will take place. This can include:

  • garnisheeing part or all of your wages or bank account
  • seizing your goods or property
  • placing a charge over any land fully or partly owned by you.

A $65 fee will be added to your overdue fine for each enforcement action.

Applying for a payment plan arrangement allows you to pay your overdue fine(s) by instalment. However, Revenue NSW does not automatically lift restrictions once Roads and Maritime has been directed to apply one.

How to lift Roads and Maritime restrictions under a payment plan arrangement

Revenue NSW can direct Roads and Maritime to lift restrictions if:

    this is your first application for a payment plan arrangement
  • you have previously paid out your overdue fines under a payment plan arrangement without any defaults
  • there are extenuating circumstances which should be considered.

How to have Roads and Maritime restrictions lifted earlier

You can have your Roads and Maritime restrictions lifted immediately by paying all overdue fines in full. Payments can be made at any Roadsand Maritime motor registry. If paying Revenue NSW, you must confirm with Roads and Maritime the next business day that any restrictions have been lifted before driving.

The health and safety of a person dependent on you

This evidence can come from a medical practitioner, community services or welfare agency, or a community organisation. It must detail the following information:

  • a description of the illness and whether the condition is ongoing
  • how often you are required to transport the person or attend a community service
  • whether alternative transport can be used. Does the illness prevent the person from using public transport?

Your own medical circumstances

You must provide documentation from a medical practitioner, hospital or health institution showing you have a serious chronic or ongoing medical (physical or mental) condition that:

  • requires you to travel to and from a medical facility on a regular basis to receive treatment
  • is ongoing and states how often you require treatment
  • prevents you from travelling on public transport. You will also need to show no other alternative transport can be used or that no one else can help you.


If you are employed, provide a current pay-slip or bank statement, as well as a letter from your employer that:

  • outline what duties you perform that require a driver licence and/or your vehicle registered
  • advises how often you are required to drive for work
  • states that you will lose your job because of the restriction as there are no other duties you can perform while restrictions are in place.

If you are self-employed, you must provide evidence that proves you are self-employed, such as:

  • a copy of a contract or letter from your contractor that sets out the nature of your work
  • a letter from your accountant which details the nature of your work.

If you have been offered a job you must provide a letter from your prospective employer advising:

  • your employment start date, the number of hours you will be working and your hourly rate of pay
  • the specific duties you will be required to perform that require a driver licence.

Indigenous driver training program

You must provide a letter from an approved Driver Training Group certifying that:

  • you live in a rural indigenous community
  • you have enrolled in a driving training program or school to obtain a driver licence.

For more information on driver training groups please contact Roads and Maritime on 13 22 13.

Remote location

You must provide documentary evidence that your home address is outside of an area serviced by public transport. This can include any three of the following: a copy of a lease agreement, electricity bill, bank statement or landline telephone bill.

Last updated: 30 July 2017