Civil sanctions

If you do not pay or finalise your overdue fine after Roads and Maritime Services restrictions are applied, or do not pay or finalise your unpaid ambulance fee notice, we will apply civil sanctions. For each civil sanction imposed, an enforcement cost of $65 is added to the fine ($25 for juveniles).

Civil sanctions include Property Seizure order, Garnishee order to your employer, Garnishee order to your bank, Examination summons and Charge on land.

If you still take no action we can issue a community service order requiring you to perform unpaid community work to the value of your outstanding overdue fine.

Property seizure order

This allows the sheriff to enter your home or workplace and seize goods belonging to you to auction to pay the outstanding overdue fine.

Garnishee order to your employer

This requires your employer to deduct money from your wages to pay the outstanding overdue fine.

For employers

An employer garnishee order is a legal document issued by Revenue NSW requiring employers to deduct money from an individual's wage/salary.

If you are an employer and have received a garnishee order from Revenue NSW, action it immediately. You can provide your response through the Employer Garnishee Order Self Service portal using the information received from the garnishee order.

Do not ignore the garnishee order. If you fail to comply with the order, you may be summoned to appear in court to explain why you should not be liable for the amount owed.

Note: providing false or misleading information to us may result in legal prosecution.

Garnishee order to your bank

This requires your bank to deduct money from your account to pay the outstanding overdue fine. Read the Garnishee order client information factsheet for more information.

Revenue NSW may approve a refund of part or all of the money taken from your bank account in some circumstances. Read the Policy relating to refunds for fines debt for more information.

Examination summons

We can issue you with a summons to attend court where one of our representatives will examine your financial circumstances to determine any future action for you to pay the outstanding fine.

Charge on land

The charge will prevent you from selling your property until you pay the outstanding overdue fine amount.

Last updated: 30 July 2017