Approved sponsors are essential to the success of a Work and Development Order (WDO).
Apply to become a WDO sponsor
Work and Development Orders (WDOs) are a way to help people who can't pay their fines. WDOs deliver real change and community benefit by:
- allowing customers to clear their fines through unpaid work, courses and treatment programs with approved WDO sponsors
- helping clients get their driver licence back and make a fresh start.
The WDO scheme helps people who:
- have a mental illness
- have an intellectual disability or cognitive impairment
- have a serious addiction to drugs, alcohol or volatile substances
- are homeless
- are in acute economic hardship.
The role of a WDO sponsor
WDO sponsors include government agencies, non-government organisations and health practitioners. Sponsors use the WDO Self Service Portal to streamline the WDO process. WDOs can be applied for and managed through the portal without submission of paperwork.
As a WDO Sponsor, you can:
- support a customer to do activities directly through your service, or
- case manage the customer's activities that they do somewhere else.
An approved sponsor supports a WDO in many ways including:
- working out whether someone is eligible for a WDO
- working out which activities or work they should undertake
- providing or supervising the activities or work undertaken under a WDO
- keeping a copy of all WDO paperwork
- submitting a monthly report on progress.
Supporting the process
If you’re considering providing support to someone for a WDO you should first check they are eligible by reading the WDO Guidelines (PDF, 165 KB).
Ask the person undertaking the WDO to contact us if:
- you cannot provide suitable activities or services in a customer’s area of need or
- if they don’t have capacity to undertake the activities you offer.
Register as a WDO sponsor
Organisations and health practitioners must comply with the Work and Development Order guidelines (PDF, 165 KB).
Before you apply to become an approved WDO sponsor, consult the WDO sponsor application checklist and read the guidelines for:
- proof of eligibility requirements
- approved WDO activities and
- activity cut-out rates.
Contact us if you have questions about:
- registering as an approved WDO sponsor
- the status of an organisation/health practitioner application
- sponsoring a WDO with us or
- your obligations as a WDO sponsor.