Buying or selling property

This page gives a summary of the grants, taxes and duties that may apply when you are buying or selling property in NSW.



When buying property you may be entitled to one of the New South Wales (NSW) Government’s home buyer grants or concessions. On this page, you will find all grants and concessions available to home buyers in NSW and a summary to help guide you to more information.


Housing affordability

2017 Budget - Housing affordability

More information The NSW Government announced changes in the 2017 Budget to first home benefits available which take effect from 1 July 2017.


First Home Buyers Assistance scheme

First Home Buyers Assistance

A duty exemption on new and existing homes valued up to $650,000 and vacant land valued up to $350,000.

A duty concession on new and existing homes valued between $650,000 and $800,000, and vacant land between $350,000 and $450,000.


First Home Owner Grant Scheme

First home owner grant (New home)

More information ApplyA $10,000 grant is available to first home buyers where the value of the new home purchased does not exceed $600,000 or for a property where you enter into a comprehensive building contract, or are an owner builder the total value does not exceed $750,000.


Taxes and Duties

When buying or selling property you may also be liable for taxes and duties. This page provides a summary of all the taxes and duties applicable when buying or selling property to help guide you to more information.


Land tax

Land tax

More information Pay nowA tax levied on liable owners of land in NSW as at midnight on the 31 December of each year.


Loose-fill asbestos insulation

Loose-fill asbestos insulation

More informationA duty concession on a purchase of replacement residential property by owners of residential property that was acquired by a State authority because it contained loose-fill asbestos insulation.


Mortgage duty

Mortgage duty in NSW

More information Pay nowA duty charged on an amount secured by a mortgage in NSW.


Mortgage duty

Multistate mortgage duty

More information Pay nowA duty charged on mortgages that cover property both in and out of NSW. The mortgages may be single mortgages and mortgage packages.


New Forms

Purchaser/transferee declaration

ApplyEach purchaser/transferee will need to complete their own declaration. This form meets Commonwealth and NSW reporting needs.


Surcharge purchase duty

Surcharge purchaser duty

More informationA surcharge purchaser duty on the purchase of residential real estate by foreign persons.


Transfer of land of business

Transfer of land or business duty

More information Pay nowA duty applied to the sale or transfer of land or a business.

Last updated: 30 June 2017